Just a random thought I didn't want to forget . . . When I was growing up my parents would tuck us into bed at night, give hugs and kisses, and as they were leaving the room say "sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." I always thought it was just a silly way of saying "have a good night's rest." When I got older I was touring one of many old homes that I've toured in my life (so I can't remember which house it was) and learned the REAL STORY behind this expression. When people slept on the old hay stuffed mattresses they would often need to TIGHTen the ropes under the mattress for a nice, firm rest AND there were very often BED BUGS in the hay that would bite during the night. So, yes, this expression was a wish for a good night's rest . . . pretty much. ANYWAY, as I am a creature of habit I always tuck my kids in, give them hugs and kisses, and as I'm leaving their rooms I say "sleep tight" (I have omitted the bed bug part in recent years as my children have great imaginations and are susceptible to the power of suggestion -- if you know what I mean). TONIGHT for the first time from any of my kids came this from my little S, "Mom, what sleep tight mean?" I saved my explanation for the blog and told her "it just means have a good night's rest."
1 comment:
It always seems to be the little ones that are the most curious at times!
Post a Comment