Thursday, October 28, 2010

A recipe for "Chili" weather . . .

If you're looking for a yummy dinner to warm your tummies, you might want to try this one.  Our friends,the Stephens, have the tradition of eating chili together every Halloween before trick-or-treating -- isn't that a good idea?  
I stayed home with "poor little Sarah" (her term -- she's fighting a nasty cold) while Daddy took the other kiddos to our ward "Trunk or Treat" tonight.  I sent him with my "Sweet Chili" - a recipe from my mom -AND it won FIRST PRIZE!  I was pretty shocked.  I am not a great cook, but "I am a great collector of recipes" (I'm plagiarizing my friend Summer).  Sorry I didn't take a photo of it before I sent it out the door. Oh, and an added bonus of this particular recipe -- it doesn't cause gas (just thought you might want to know).
SWEET CHILI
1-16 oz can of B & M baked beans 
1-14 oz can of red kidney beans
1-14 oz can of butter beans
1/2 lb bacon strips cut in half
1 1/2 lb ground beef
small onion chopped
4 T. ketchup
4 T. molasses
4 T. barbecue sauce
2 tsp white vinegar (very important)
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 T. brown sugar

Cook the bacon until almost done.  Drain off most of the grease.  Cook the hamburger and onion in the same pan.  Drain the kidney and butter beans.  Mix everything together in a crock pot.  Cook on low as long as you want, or cook on high until bubbly and then turn to low until ready to serve.  It does taste best when cooked for a long time -- at least 3 - 4  hours (although I only had time for about 1 hour of cooking on high before I sent it off today).  


2 comments:

jenjohnwebb said...

Congratulations!!! First place is mighty impressive!

Serendipity said...

Super cute "1st place" award!
How fun...

Followers