Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day America!

It was a different kind of 4th of July for us with it being on a Sunday. D was at the church from 6 am to 6 pm. The kids were good sports about our mellow holiday (for the most part). They're used to letting off fire works and sparklers with cousins or if we're home we usually head over to the Marana Festival. We still put up our flag this morning, had our traditional fare (though it was a cook-in not a cook-out), and we sat in our driveway and watched a great fireworks display while we set off poppers. My favorite part of the day was singing "The Star Spangled Banner" at the end of sacrament meeting. I got so choked up I couldn't finish singing as I felt such gratitude for this beautiful country and all the freedoms we enjoy. To me, this was a great way to celebrate the holiday.

1 comment:

Summertime Designs said...

Sounds like the PERFECT way to celebrate the holiday. I too got choked up at the end of the hymn today. I knew the first verse by heart, but don't hear the other verses enough to know them. Naturally this made me pay attention to the words more, and I felt so much gratitude as I sung the line that talks about the men and women who "more then self their country loved"...what a true sacrifice! And your house is the ideal location to see those fireworks!

Followers